HOW TO KNOW IF A DETOX RETREAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU
By Larissa Wright
With the world being such a hectic place, detox retreats are becoming a popular way for busy people to spend their time off. Rather than just taking a few weeks to lounge about on a beautiful beach, many are choosing to combine stunning locations and relaxation with health benefits that will continue to enrich their lives, even after they’ve returned to their daily hustle.
A retreat gives your mind, body and soul a break, a chance to regroup and make space, and perhaps create new routines and habits that you can take away with you. It allows you to experience total immersion in a positive experience, eliminating distractions and excuses that might derail our efforts at home.
WHAT IS A DETOX RETREAT?
Many aspects of modern life are not designed to nurture the human body and spirit. A detox retreat is a holistic break you give yourself to ‘detoxify’, cleanse or heal from your daily grind. A good detox retreat won’t just focus on physical cleansing but will provide you with a natural approach to heal yourself mentally, emotionally and spiritually. This may include:
- Fasting, raw food or an organic plant-based eating regime
- Gentle movement, yoga or more vigorous exercise
- Healthy daily routines
- Relaxation time in nature or beautiful quiet surroundings
- Meditation or inner exploration
- Health-promoting treatments such as massage, saunas or ice baths
- Positive talks, counselling, journalling or other therapeutic activities
- Learning and information to empower you to improve your life
To truly benefit from a detox retreat, you should experience an immersion into integrated health and wellbeing for a week. It should also inspire healthy attitudes and behaviours that you can take with you for lasting results and positive lifestyle change.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF RETREATS
There are many types of retreats ranging from “by-donation” meditation retreats with concrete beds and mosquito nets to high-end resorts where you are pampered in relaxation with 5-star lodgings. Many retreats are focused on yoga, and usually, incorporate theoretical learning as well as asana (posture) practice. Some meditation retreats require you to meditate for up to 12 hours a day and remain in complete silence! Spa retreats are pure indulgence in decadent surroundings, letting you feel like royalty for a few days with the freedom to spend your time however you like. Obviously, these come with a suitable price tag.
There are health and fitness retreats, weight loss retreats, cooking retreats, writers’ retreats, and crafting retreats. You can bathe in red wine, get massaged by snakes, or spend a week engaging in orgasmic meditation. The possibilities are endless!
CHOOSING THE RIGHT RETREAT FOR YOU
To choose the right retreat, you need to narrow down what it is you want to achieve. These are some questions you can ask yourself that will help you understand which is best suited to you.
- How much money do I want to spend?
- How much time do I have?
- What conditions do I need to be comfortable?
- What are my primary goals for a retreat?
- Is there something I want to learn about, such as traditional medicine or a healing modality?
- How far am I willing to travel?
- Do I want to try fasting, or do I need to eat solid food?
- Do I want to be connected to the internet, or switch off from technology for the duration?
- Am I comfortable with or interested in different types of spirituality and teachings?
Before you commit to a detox retreat, make sure you ask any potential retreat provider some questions to ensure it’s right for you. These are some examples that will help you understand if you’re making the best choice.
- How healthy is the food provided? Is it omnivorous, vegetarian or vegan? Is it organic?
- Is juice fasting offered?
- Is there a focus on spirituality?
- How much and what kind of support is provided?
- Does this retreat give a balanced approach to mental, emotional and spiritual wellbeing as well as physical?
- How much of my time is scheduled, and how much is mine to spend freely?
Finally, be sure to research the retreat’s reviews on the internet to make sure this centre is living up to its promises. Google and Trip Advisor are reliable sources for genuine reviews.
VISIT NATURAL DETOX RETREAT
Here at the Visit Natural Detox Resort, we have a choice of several different retreats to meet your individual needs. You can choose an all-inclusive package with everything we have to offer and food provided, do a juice fast while living on or off the premises, or select a room in your budget and choose the classes you need while eating in a way that suits you. To discuss the possibilities contact us so we can find the perfect approach for your next break.